2023-24 Special Courses Classroom Teacher
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one middle/high) in the Memphis communities of Binghampton, Berclair, Frayser, Hickory Hill, Midtown, and Orange Mound. We focus intently on three pillars – academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community – as we prepare our students for college and life-long success.
Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.
Compass Community Schools is seeking experienced elective course classroom teachers across our six campuses (five K-8 sites at Berclair, Binghampton, Frayser, Hickory Hill, and Orange Mound, and one 9-12 high school in Midtown) for the upcoming school year.
● Art (opportunities in both K-8 and 9-12)
● Music (opportunities in both K-8 and 9-12)
● Physical Education (opportunities in both K-8 and 9-12)
● Spanish (opportunities in 9-12 only)
● Imparting a love of content on students.
● Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
● Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
● Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
● Instruct students with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
● Monitor student progress to ensure that student needs are being met.
● Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
● Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
Teacher Pay & Perks:
● Intentionally small school settings – K-8 sites have only about 225 students in total, and one classroom per grade level; Midtown high school has less than 400 students in total.
● Collaborative professional development (PLCs) supported by a network level Director of Special Education, as well as network-level content leads
● Robust medical, dental, and vision plan with significant employer contributions to premiums
● 100% employer-funded short-term disability, life, and accidental death insurance
● Contributions in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (AAA-rated pension plan)
● Salary ranges from $44,000 to $51,500
● Sign-on bonuses available
● REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree
● REQUIRED: valid Tennessee teaching license for PE teachers (endorsement #420)
● PREFERRED: valid Tennessee teaching license for other electives (generally, with endorsement #427 for art, #428 or 429 for music and #495 or #169 for Spanish)
● ENCOURAGED: Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
● Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
● Strong content knowledge in all content areas
● Driving commitment to advance student learning
● Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
● Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
● Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
● Utmost personal and professional integrity
What We Offer
● Mission-driven, joyful, respectful working environments
● Intentionally small school settings
● Opportunity to positively impact the lives of Memphis youth
● Competitive compensation and benefits package