2023-24 Middle School (6-8) Classroom Teacher
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one middle/high) in the Memphis communities of Binghampton, Berclair, Frayser, Hickory Hill, Midtown, and Orange Mound. We focus intently on three pillars – academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community – as we prepare our students for college and life-long success.
Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.
Compass Community Schools is seeking experienced middle school classroom teachers across our five K-8 campuses (Berclair, Binghampton, Frayser, Hickory Hill, and Orange Mound) for the upcoming school year. Our 3 grades in middle school (6th, 7th, and 8th) are divided among 3 content areas – one teacher responsible for English-language arts, one teacher for mathematics, and one teacher for both science and social studies.
● Imparting a love of content on students prior to their high-school experience
● Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
● Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
● Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
● Instruct students with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
● Monitor student progress to ensure that student needs are being met.
● Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
● Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
Middle School Teacher Pay & Perks:
● Intentionally small school settings – K-8 sites have only about 225 students in total
● Collaborative professional development (PLCs) supported by a network-level content lead (Director of Math, Director of English-Language Arts, and science and social studies content leader)
● Robust medical, dental, and vision plan with significant employer contributions to premiums
● 100% employer-funded short-term disability, life, and accidental death insurance
● Contributions in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (AAA-rated pension plan)
● Salary ranges from $44,000 to $51,500
● Sign-on bonuses available
● REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree
● PREFERRED: valid Tennessee teaching license (generally, with endorsement #121 for ELA teachers, #122 for math, and both #123 and #124 for the science/social studies teacher)
● ENCOURAGED: Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
● Affinity with and passion for the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
● Strong content knowledge in specific content areas (English-language arts, math, science, and social studies)
● Driving commitment to advance student learning
● Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
● Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
● Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
● Utmost personal and professional integrity
What We Offer
● Mission-driven, joyful, respectful working environments
● Intentionally small school settings
● Opportunity to positively impact the lives of Memphis youth
● Competitive compensation and benefits package